Friday, June 8, 2012

Extreme Couponing Erin & Dominique





My recaps aren't going to be anything to extreme or long.  I just want to point out some things I notice in the shopping trips.  I didn't catch all of the stores they shopped in, but if I did I include it.


Erin
She shopped at Food Giant.  See their coupon policy here.  I didn't notice any limits in their policy so that is very unusual, but lucky for the wannabe extremes.


One thing I wanted to mention is how her daughter kept saying she was embarrassed by how her mom acted.  Knowing this her mom still goes to her practice while all of her friends are still there and asks her coach if he has any coupons for her.  She couldn't have waited until the other girls left?


The big thing I noticed with her couponing is how unorganized she was.  It was crazy.  If you want to coupon efficiently you need to be organized.  You can choose whatever method works best for you, but I definitely think you need some sort of a method besides just throwing all of your coupons into a big pile.  When you are couponing your shopping trips are longer than a normal trip.  Having your coupons nice and organized will make your trip a lot smoother.  It will also help to know what coupons you have and how many you have.


Remember that a lot of stores charge tax on the total before coupons.  Check to see how it works in your state, because in Illinois with a $2,000 + shopping trip you would be paying around $137 just in taxes so the $0 trip is pretty unreachable.


She showed that she goes around asking people for coupons.  That's all fine and dandy, but I can almost guarantee she had to buy some of those coupons.  None of the extreme couponers ever say how much they pay for their coupons.  That is another thing to keep in mind.


I think the couponers on the show should have to show a list of what they buy and what coupons they use.  There is so much fraud shown on the show it's not even funny.  They don't really show a lot of the coupons used, but in this particular one 3 stood out to me.


1. $5/1 wipes coupon??  I have never ever seen a coupon this high value for wipes.  I tried to google it and couldn't find any information on this coupon.  That seems kind of fishy.


2. 20 free pickle coupons.  There is no way that these were obtained in a normal manner.  She had to have purchased extras.


3. The $5 Del Monte coupons.  These coupons were for $5 off Del Monte FRESH fruits and veggies.  Google it they were everywhere.  They were coupons for teachers.  She used them on cans of Del Monte veggies.  Way to commit fraud there.  Makes me sick.


Dominique


I was pretty impressed with this kid.  He is a college student and it showed his whole fraternity involved.  I was impressed that is until I read Jill Cataldo's post and it was all just a made up trip.  Guess TLC is getting a little desperate.  See her post HERE.


One thing that did stand out in his trip though was how his store had a coupon policy of only 12 like coupons per trip.  He split it into 3 transactions to get around this rule.  Good luck with that.  My store limits their limits per DAY and will not let you split into separate transactions.  Be sure to check your store before assuming they will let you do this.


He had 36 coupons for $6.50/1 Malt-O-Meal.  I googled these and they are actually a free product up to $6.50.  I seriously doubt he was able to just collect these around campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment